Friday, August 29, 2008

Resolving interpersonal conflict

During the 7 months break between my A' levels and entering university, I was working part-time at an ice cream shop. My lady boss is an incredulously stingy woman who fusses over little things like us(employees) using too much serviettes or scooping too much ice cream for customers.

I remember this incident when a customer made a scene at the shop, which attracted much attention from the public. Everyone who worked at the shop was given strict instructions as to how much ice cream we were to scoop into each cup, and I would say it was not a generous amount. However, as good employees, we adhere to this instruction when we carrying out our duties. There was this particular customer that I served who was extremely unhappy with the amount of ice cream I scooped, saying that I was trying to cheat his money. I told him nicely, with a big smile on my face, that this is the company's policy and I scoop as much for every customer. He continued to shout at me and insisted on having more ice cream. I did not give in, and he eventually started scolding vulgarities at me until the security guards came to pull him away.

The main problem is: he feels cheated because he thinks that $2.80 is worth a lot more ice cream than what I've given him. I, on the other hand, was bound by my boss's instructions and could not give him more ice cream because that would be unfair to the other customers in the queue, unless I decided I didn't want my job anymore and gave all of them generous amounts of ice cream. We could not understand each others' point of view, and neither of us gave in. I felt really helpless, and when he started scolding me with unpleasant words, I felt angry.

On hindsight, maybe I should have just given him more ice cream to appease him. But does that also mean that my job is at stake when my lady boss finds out what I have done? If I had bent over, would I be obliged to give all the customers in the queue a larger serving of ice cream too?

7 comments:

xue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
xue said...

Hi Jaymie,

This is perhaps a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea. On one hand, you cannot displease your lady boss and on the other, you cannot offend the customer.

I think it did take you great courage to stand up to the customer and assert your point. Having explained that it was your boss' decision, you could also have encouraged him to feedback to the boss directly and express your helplessness in the issue. Even though many feel that "customers are always right", I feel that it would not have been wise to back down upon his verbal abuse, or the other customers would be indignant seeing the amount of ice cream they get in comparison.

Having dealt with the customer, it is pertinent to see that the root of the problem stems from the attitude your boss had towards her customers. You could have feedback to her about the regular complaints you get from the customers and suggested a solution to the problem such as a promotional offer. This would rake in profits as well as please the customers, creating a win-win situation.

Just my two cents' worth.

Cheers,
Xueli

daniel said...

Hi Jaymie,

I could understand where the customer is coming from. Having encountered so many cases where my $2 is worth only 7 small pieces of fruits on my ice-jelly dessert, there were many times when I felt unfairly charged. However, I have never become unreasonable as I understand that the service provider is often bounded by the company's rules.

However, in order to defuse the situation in this case, you could have given him a little bit more ice-cream discreetly while explaining to him that you are already breaking company rules.

Firstly, by doing so discreetly, other customers will not feel that it is unfair to them and thus demand for more ice-cream.

Secondly, by stating that you are actually breaking the company rules to accomodate to his requests will appease the unreasonable customer and make him less likely to have further demands.

Afterall, giving half a scoop more of ice-cream will not attract the notice of your superior, but having an abusive customer may cause the business of the shop to suffer.

Unknown said...

Hey Jaymie,

I can understand your plight as I've worked in customer service during my break, and had customers throwing vulgarities (through the phone though) at me too. It's really hard to give in to them, especially if we're bound by instructions or have to be fair to other customers. We on the receiving side can only endure the anger spew till someone intervenes.

Fortunately, you practiced good EQ by not giving in and also not arguing with him. If you had simply given in, who knows whether another customer or even your boss might be watching this scene unfold. Then you would really be in trouble.

Unknown said...

Hi Jaymie,

Businesses are run by the bottomline. As such company policies are there for a reason; They govern the services provided in order to maintain profits. Your boss' concern is that should you give more to one customer, other would be inclined to ask for more.

By keeping your cool and keeping to the company policy, you have probably gained the respect of your superior. However, I do understand that even rules have exceptions. Most F&B companies allocate a percentage of products to deal with either compensation or difficult customers.

And even if such does not apply, Yihao's suggestion of being discrete would suffice. Even if your boss finds out, drawing his attention to the possible PR fallout will help explain matters.

Cheers!

Sabrina He said...

Hi Jaymie,

In service sector, conflicts often arise when customers' expectation are not met. I share the same view as Yihao that a more flexible approach, like giving a little more ice cream and telling him that is the maximum you can give might help. In this way, he might feel that you are trying to help him and perhaps he would not react so strongly to it. If I were you, perhaps i would give a little more to the next few customers only.

Of course, if many of the customers complain about the amount of ice cream given, maybe it would be good to reflect this to your boss.

Cheers,
Sabrina

simwl said...

Hi J,

I think you could have lunged over the counter and trottled the rude customer. After choking the life out of him, you can turn to your lady boss and do the same.

Ha. I'm kidding.

In this scenerio, i think you did right to state your terms and made your stand, customer or not. You have the right to be assertive. Yet, under public scrutiny, it is very difficult to make decisions like this there and then. Customers fuss, we blush.

If however, the customer quietly requests for a little bit more ice cream on the side, i think it is possible to 'cheat', if and only if the request is polite. Service personals are not slaves. They are humans as well.

Your boss should, on hindsight, be notified of problems such as these and not take so drastic cost cutting measures and comprimising on customer satisfaction.

My two cent's worth

Eugene